At Methodist McKinney Hospital our goal is to make each patient's surgical experience as convenient and comfortable as possible.
A staff member will communicate your arrival time to complete registration paperwork prior to your procedure. To ensure timely registration, please bring the following documentation:
- Insurance ID card(s)
- Driver's license or state-issue photo ID card
- Physician order forms
- Payment for your insrance co-pay, if any
Additional surgical information:
- Do not consume any food or drink, including water, after midnight prior to surgery. Do not chew gum, use breath mints or hard candies, or smoke after midnight. Generally, cardiac and respiratory medications can be taken the morning of surgery with enough water to swallow. Please ask the medical staff for clarification if you take medications in the morning.
- The hospital will provide instructions on when to arrive for your procedure, usually between one to two hours in advance, depending on the type of surgery. Please ask medical staff for clarification if you are unsure of what time to arrive.
- All patients must have a legal driver to drive them home following surgery. If you do not arrive to your surgery with a driver, your surgery may be cancelled.
- Our facility provides gowns and basic toiletry items for overnight inpatient procedures, but we encourage patients to bring their own items if it will make their stay more comfortable.
- It is fine to bathe prior to your procedure, but limit the amount of hairspray, make-up, and body lotion applied. Nail polish is not permitted.
- Leave valuables at home (examples: purses, watches, and jewelry).
- We encourage patients to wear glasses instead of contact lenses. If this is not possible, then please bring the supplies necessary to hold the contact lenses when they are removed.
- Women of childbearing age should expect to do a urine pregnancy test prior to the procedure.
- The anesthesia provider will discuss taking any home medications prior to surgery.
After your outpatient surgery or procedure, you will be moved to a recovery area and closely monitored until you are ready to go home. It is normal to feel discomfort in the area of your surgery. You may also experience some drowsiness or dizziness, depending on the type of anesthesia received prior to the procedure.
Once you are fully awake from surgery, a nurse will notify your family that they can join you in the recovery area until discharge time. Although recovery times for surgery can vary, most patients are discharged one to three hours after surgery. For your safety, please arrange for an adult to drive you home after surgery. You cannot drive yourself home following a procedure.
Patients with a surgical procedure necessitating an overnight stay will recover in one of our 19 private patient rooms. Families are welcome to join patients in their private room.
Patient room amenities:
- Large, private rooms
- Flat-screen TV
- Cable TV
- Hotel-quality bed and linens
- Free Wi-Fi access
- Free room-service meals
For patients that require physical therapy during their stay at Methodist McKinney we offer Functional Mobility Retraining, Orthopaedic Rehabilitation, and Wound Care.
- Functional Mobility Retraining: Teaching proper and safe functional mobility with an emphasis on minimizing the risks of falls and re-injury.
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation: Evaluating and treating all types of orthopaedic conditions and surgeries with a focus on intense training of proper mobility and exercises to restore normal range of motion, strength, and mobility.
- Wound Care: Creating clean, optimal wound healing environments while identifying and eliminating complicating factors that delay wound healing.